This page is continued from Getting Started >>>> Representing Yourself “Pro Se” and Assisting Others as a Non-Lawyer >>>> Lawyer? Attorney? Counselor? What’s the Difference?:
1.Advice or assistance; opinion given as the result of consultation <the lawyer’s counsel was to petition immediately for a change of immigration status>.
2. One or more lawyers who, having the authority to do so, give advice about legal matters; especially, a courtroom advocate <the client acted on advice of counsel>. — In the singular, also termed counselor; counselor-at-law.
3. English law. A member of the bar; BARRISTER. 
1. A counselor; an attorney at law; one or more attorneys representing parties in an action. Ludiam v Broderick, 15 NJL 269, 270.
See attorney at law; of counsel. 
1. An attorney; an attorney representing a party in a legal action; legal counsel.
See assigned counsel; of counsel; right to counsel. 
1. Advising; deliberating with another to aid him in coming to a conclusion. 
1. A lawyer; one who, having the authority to do so, gives advice about legal matters; especially, a courtroom advocate. See COUNSEL (2). 
1. See counselor at law; chamber-counselor. 
An attorney. 
counselor at law:
1.See COUNSEL (2).
1. An attorney who has been duly admitted to the bar and presently qualified to practice law; an advising lawyer. 7 Am J2d Attys § 1.
See chamber-counselor; of counsel. 
Disclaimer: All material throughout this website is pertinent to people everywhere, and is being utilized in accordance with Fair Use.
: Black’s Law Dictionary Deluxe Tenth Edition by Henry Campbell Black & Editor in Chief Bryan A. Garner. ISBN: 978-0-314-62130-6
: Ballantine’s Law Dictionary with Pronunciations
Third Edition by James A. Ballantine (James Arthur 1871-1949). Edited by William S. Anderson. © 1969 by THE LAWYER’S CO-OPERATIVE PUBLISHING COMPANY. Library of Congress Catalog Card No. 68-30931
Back to Getting Started
Like this website?
or donate via PayPal:
This website is being broadcast for First Amendment purposes courtesy of
We look forward to hearing from you!