n. [Law French “to speak the truth”]
1. A preliminary examination of a prospective juror by a judge or lawyer to decide whether the prospect is qualified and suitable to serve on a jury. * Loosely, the term refers to the jury-selection phase of a trial.
2. A preliminary examination to test the competence of a witness or evidence.
3. Hist. An oath administered to a witness requiring that witness to answer truthfully in response to questions. — also spelled voire dire. — aka voire dire exam; examination on the voir dire. — “voir dire”, vb. 
1. To speak the truth. An oath administered to one called as a witness or juror preliminary to an examination of him in reference to his qualifications or disqualifications as witness or jury. 31 Am J Rev ed Jury § 136. 
1. Means “look speak.” 
voir dire examination:
1. The examination of a prospective juror by a litigant, usually through the latter’s counsel, for the purpose of determining whether such prospective juror is qualified to act as a juror and for the further purpose of of aiding the litigant in the exercise of his peremptory challenges. 31 Am J Rev ed Jury § 136.
The preliminary examination of one called as a witness to determine competency. 58 Am J1st Witn § 211. 
1. Examination of a potential juror for the purpose of determining whether she is qualified and acceptable to act as a juror int he case. A prospective juror who a party decides is unqualified or unacceptable may be challenged for cause or may be the subject of a peremptory challenge. 
Disclaimer: All material throughout this website is pertinent to people everywhere, and is being utilized in accordance with Fair Use.
: Ballantine’s Law Dictionary with Pronunciations
Third Edition by James A. Ballantine (James Arthur 1871-1949). Edited by William S. Anderson. © 1969 by THE LAWYER’S CO-OPERATIVE PUBLISHING COMPANY. Library of Congress Catalog Card No. 68-30931
Back to All About Jury Trials
Like this website?
or donate via PayPal:
This website is being broadcast for First Amendment purposes courtesy of
We look forward to hearing from you!